Gogoro’s first Impact Report covers Gogoro’s progress in sustainability and other ESG initiatives but will be released annually in the future.
TAIPEI, Taiwan, February 16, 2023 – Gogoro Inc. (Nasdaq: GGR), a global technology leader in battery swapping ecosystems that enable sustainable mobility solutions for cities, today released its first Impact Report. The Impact Report highlights Gogoro’s progress in sustainability and ESG and outlines how Gogoro battery swapping and Smartscooters have been successful in enabling the transformation to sustainable urban transportation. The Impact Report can be accessed on Gogoro’s Website at Here. Gogoro plans to release annual Impact Reports in the future.
“What a difference a decade makes. Ten years ago, few were contemplating the urban energy and transportation transformation or addressing the plight that cities were facing because of air pollution and other negative effects of climate change. We started Gogoro to address these challenges and fundamentally change urban transportation for the better and we are making progress. Today, we are introducing our first Gogoro Impact Report to highlight this progress we’ve made in our ESG initiatives and outline our future,” said Horace Luke, founder, and CEO of Gogoro. “This report summarizes our commitments and progress in four key strategic areas: Cleaner Planet, Safety & Resilience, Responsible Business and Social Impact. We believe these four areas are key to our success in achieving smarter, cleaner and safer cities.”
The Impact Report highlights key areas of progress that Gogoro and its battery swapping ecosystem have achieved in the last ten years. Key statistics from the report are:
- Gogoro riders have offset 287 million liters of gasoline and avoided 603 million kilograms of CO2 emissions.
- 84.4% of particulates reduction compared to ICE vehicles.
- More than 1.3 million users (incl. Gogoro Network subscribers and GoShare users)
- 3,000+ direct and indirect green jobs and 600+ dealers transitioned from gas to EV support.
The Impact Report summarizes Gogoro’s commitments and progress in four strategic ESG areas that it believes are key to its success:
- Cleaner Planet - Gogoro is committed to further reducing GHG emissions to minimize our impact on the environment.
- Safety & Resilience - From products, to services, to infrastructure, Gogoro is making urban mobility safer, reliable, and enjoyable.
- Responsible Business - Gogoro is determined to run a healthy business and make positive contribution to shareholders.
- Social Impact - As a purpose-driven company, we’re keen to empower people to drive change and bring positivity to society.
Two-wheels Accelerate EV Adoption
Gogoro’s research clearly indicated that adoption of two-wheel EVs is already making a meaningful difference. Two and three wheelers are widely used for daily commutes in most megacities, especially in Asia and Africa. The adoption of 2- and 3-wheel EVs is already making meaningful progress as the oil displacement from 2- and 3-wheel EVs is approximately 5 times that of 4-wheel passenger EVs. Due to a combination of policy support, growing customer acceptance, improvement in battery technology and new compelling models from vehicle makers, we expect the adoption of 2- and 3-wheel EVs will continue to accelerate. Key takeaways from the research were:
- Swap & Go is Essential for Urban Centers: It can provide up to 67% lower GHG emissions per passenger kilometer.
- Save Time: Swap & Go is up to 93X faster to refuel.
- Save Space: Up to 5.1X (smaller occupied space)
Gogoro Adopts Renewable Energy
In 2022, Gogoro began purchasing renewable energy in Taiwan to further reduce the amount of scope 2 emissions caused by its manufacturing, retail operations and battery swapping service. Its long-term goal is to achieve 100% renewable energy but in 2022, it achieved 40% renewable energy in its factory operations and at two retail stores.
Founded in 2011 to rethink urban energy and inspire the world to move through cities in smarter and more sustainable ways, Gogoro leverages the power of innovation to change the way urban energy is distributed and consumed. Gogoro’s battery swapping and vehicle platforms offer a smart, proven and sustainable long-term ecosystem for delivering a new approach to urban mobility. Gogoro has quickly become an innovation leader in vehicle design and electric propulsion, smart battery design, battery swapping, and advanced cloud services that utilize artificial intelligence to manage battery availability and safety. The challenge is massive, but the opportunity to disrupt the status quo, establish new standards, and achieve new levels of sustainable transportation growth in densely populated cities is even greater. For more information, visit https://www.gogoro.com/news and follow Gogoro on Twitter: @wearegogoro.